Nerja’s Foreigners Department have published the following advice with regard to renewing the documents foreigners need if they live in Nerja, specifically the Residents Card, NIE number (foreigners identification number) and Padron (similar to the electoral roll). These documents are all needed for things like opening a bank account, buying a car or house or use the public services such as the schools and hospitals:-

There is confusion regarding when renewals take place, as this date normally is not shown on the document. All the applications and bank payment forms together with a translation of the necessary documents required are available free at Nerja Foreigners Department (at the Ayuntamiento building by the Balcon de Europa pictured). Please note the following renewal dates:

RESIDENT CARD OR CERTIFICATE: After 5 years.Residents will only have to renew their Residencia once, as after 5 years you become a Permanent Resident and renewals will no more be necessary.Residencias and renewals are applied for at Torre del Mar Police Station. To check if you are a Permanent Resident, see if your card or certificate states in the middle lines “residente con caracter permanente”. If you have the old big green sheet, you can change it for a small green card (without a photo) at any time even if renewal is not due.
Read the rest of this entry »