The current councillor of Foreign Residents of the Nerja Town Hall, Jorge Bravo, informs foreign residents living in Spain, who have a foreign driving licence, must change it to a spanish driving licence. If you already have a spanish driving licence, you don’t need to do anything, just renew it before expiry date.

A few years ago, foreigners living in Spain could drive here with their foreign driving licence and some countries would not require a renewal for many years. For example, driving licences did not need to be renewed and were valid in Great Britain and Denmark up to the age of 70; Germany and Belgium had no limit age; Norway and Austria, valid up to the age of 100. So you could find a paper driving licence with a photo of a young person that wasn’t alike to the actual driver.

Once you have a Spanish driving licence, you will have the same traffic requirements as a Spanish person. This means that you have to renew your Spanish driving licence as follows:

  • Up to the age of 65 every 10 years.
  • After the age of 65 every 5 years.


The Foreigners Department recommends that if you are a foreign resident living in Spain and holder of the green Residence Card or Certificate, you should change your driving licence for a Spanish one. Do this before 2016 without having to rush due to a time limit.

The Traffic Department will require the change of your foreign driving licence when your licence is:

  • Valid for an indefinite time.
  • Valid for more than 15 years or 5 years for big and special vehicles.
  • Has expired or is 3 months near to expiry date.

To renew your driving licence you don’t have to pass any driving exams, so don’t worry. You just have to pass an eye and hearing test from a specialized clinic. This medical test will cost approx. 30 €.


Where to change your foreign driving licence

At Málaga Traffic Department, in Calle Max Estrella, 12 (near the new Corte Inglés Bahia). Opening hours: monday to Friday, from 8:30 to 14:30. Thursdays, also in the afternoon, from 15:30 to 17:30. In summer, from 16th june to 15th september, open only in the morning.


Apply for an appointment at the Traffic Department, by phone or by Internet giving your name and NIE number.

  • Phone number 060 (just these 3 numbers) and extension 0,       or
  • Enter Internet clicking on cita previa and after on tramites de conductores.

To avoid queuing, we advise to contract a Consulting Agency Asesoria, or a Driving School to do the procedure, especially if you do not speak Spanish.

Documents to present at the Traffic Department in Malaga:

  • Application form. Download it from clicking on: tramites y multas and after, click on renovación or canje.

If your residence card is over 2 years, download the form “Solicitud renovación permiso de conducción comunitario”.

If your residence card is less than 2 years, download the form “Solicitud canje permiso de conducción”.

  • Green Residence Card or Certificate (original and copy).
  • Passport or Identity Card (original and copy).
  • Your foreign driving licence (original and copy). The plastic licence and the paper part if it has one. The Traffic Department will keep this licence.
  • 1 colour photo.
  • A medical certificate from a specialized clinic.
  • A Padron document from the Nerja Town Hall reception on the ground floor. Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 14:00h. July and August up to 13:30h. Ask for a volante and give your name or NIE number.
  • Sign a form called “Talon Foto” only available at the Traffic Office.
  • Pay approx. 28 € for Traffic fees. It is easier to pay with a credit card. Pensioners also have to pay this tax.

 You will be given a provisional licence on the same day and in approx.1 month you will receive by post your new Spanish driving licence.

 In 2016 Traffic officers can start fining with 200 € if you haven’t changed your foreign driving licence, so please change it as soon as possible.







Powered by WPeMatico

Marcar Como Favorito o Mándelo Por Email