AyuntamientoNerja Ayuntamiento has asked foreign residents who spend at least 3 or 4 months a year here, to make sure that they register (or re-register) on the town’s Padron (similar to the Electoral Roll) to avoid the council losing up to €200,000 in grants from central government. The council receive around €90 per person registered on the Padron every year and believe that there are over 2,000 foreign residents living in the town who have not renewed their registration.

The Padron must be renewed every two years and the deadline is the end of March. According to the Ayuntamiento, the grant money is spent on local services such as doctors, police, schools, infrastructure, firemen and social care.

To check or renew your registration on the Padron visit the Foreigners Department at the town hall (behind the Balcon de Europa) with your NIE certificate (a white sheet) or Residencia certificate or card (a green sheet or card). Originals or copies are acceptable but just bringing the NIE number written on a piece of paper is not valid for some reason.

You can see Jacky at the Foreigners Department, on the ground floor of the town hall on Mondays and on Thursdays from 10:00 to 14:00. Several languages including English, French, Italian and a bit of German, are spoken at the office.

You can also come to the Main Reception on the ground floor any day Monday to Friday from 08:30 to 13:30.

To register on the Padron for the first time bring the following documents (copies accepted):-

NIE certificate (a white sheet) or Resident certificate / card (a green sheet or card). Please note that bringing the NIE number written on a piece of paper is not valid. * Passport. * One of the following receipts in your name: electricity, water, telephone, Internet, gas, rental contract, IBI or title deeds (Escritura).
Persons registered on the Padron will have the following benefits:-

Reductions at the Municipal Swimming Pool and in all sport activities of the local Sports Stadium.·

Obtain a parking space at the Verano Azul municipal parking for 30 € per month if you have been on the Padron for a minimum of one year.·

Reductions on the general rates IBI receipt.·

Register your children at school. ·

Vote in the Local Elections or even present yourself as candidate. ·

Vote in the European Elections.

Apart from the above, Pensioners registered on the Padron, will also have: ·

Reductions on the local bus by presenting a Padron certificate, volante, and a colour photo to the Verano Azul office (behind the Monica Hotel in Calle Chaparil). ·

Applying for the 65 Card, Tarjeta 65 and have reductions on:Buses to Malaga and other cities of Andalucia, glasses, hearing aids, panic button assistance, entries in Selwo, etc.

To obtain the 65 card you must be:1) Registered on the Padron.2) Over 65 years old.3) Have a Resident card or certificate (a green card or sheet).Forms are available at Nerja Foreigners Department.·

Applying for social care benefits. You must be on the Padron for a period that can vary from 1 to 5 years.

Bookmark Or Email This Page